Prepare Fun and Authentic
Vintage Recipes from America’s Past
Welcome to Simply Old School Cooking, a labor of love undertaken to preserve natural, no-fuss vintage recipes from the 1800’s and early 1900’s.
This website seeks to chronicle a period of time in US food history and provide simple recipes and insight for nostalgic cooks and bakers. Advice on modern tools and tricks are sprinkled in to freshen up old time food favorites, clarify antiquated cooking terminology, and bridge the gap between today’s kitchen and yesterday’s kitchen.
Use this information to become a more adventurous chef and to discover long-forgotten dishes from America’s past! First and foremost, experiment, tweak these simple vintage recipes based on your own personal preferences, and enjoy good food and a journey back in time!
Do you love to dance around the kitchen?
Check out the following modern and classic food tunes:
Old-Fashioned Food Wisdom!
- Improving the Flavor of Your Cutlets - To improve the flavor of your cutlets, roll them in breadcrumbs mixed with a little salt, pepper, and savory herbs.
- Ensuring a Flaky Pie Crust - If you wish to have a nice flaky pie crust, do not knead it after placing it on the board to roll.
- Using Baking Powder in Layer Cakes - If your layer cakes are coarse-grained, fall to pieces and are not rich in butter and eggs, in all probability you used too much baking powder and baked your cakes too long. Very little baking powder is required in a plain layer cake
- Softening Eggs that Have Been Boiled Too Long -
To soften eggs that have mistakenly been boiled too long, place them in a basin of cold water and leave them there for 30 seconds. This will not only soften the eggs but also improve their flavor.
- Traditional Custard Desserts That Are Easy To Prepare
- Mouth-watering custard desserts that are simple to make, including coffee custard and frozen custard.
- Bake An Old-Fashioned Honey Cake
- Traditional honey cake and eggless honey cake recipes that you'll absolutely fall in love with!
- Simple Huckleberry Recipes You'll Love
- Simple huckleberry recipes that you'll fall in love with! Enjoy recipes for huckleberry baked pudding, muffins, and more!
- Traditional New England Cakes
- Prepare traditional New England cakes for dessert. You'll love these recipes for cottage cake, coffee cake, and other New England favorites!
- Unique Vintage Pie Recipes That You'll Love
- Looking for unique vintage pie recipes? You'll love these yummy raisin, whipped cream and vinegar pies.
- Classic Oyster Recipes
- These classic oyster recipes are more than 100 years old, but they are still fantastic! You'll see oysters in a new light when you try these unique dishes.
- Vintage Crab Recipes That You'll Love
- Vintage crab recipes that you'll absolutely fall in love with! Enjoy recipes for crab sauce, crab meat mornay, and more.
- Antique Rolling Pins On EBay
- Antique rolling pins make wonderful housewarming, birthday or shower gifts. Visit eBay for a wide array of beautiful vintage rolling pins.
- The Best Rolling Pins For The Job
- Discover the best rolling pins for making perfect pies and desserts. Find helpful tips for selecting a stick-resistant model.
- Cookbooks Featuring Colonial Dishes - Eating Like The Founding Fathers
- If you are interested in colonial dishes and dining traditions, there are a number of well-researched and engaging historical cookbooks currently on the market that you should take a look at.
- An Edible Horn of Plenty
- An edible horn of plenty can easily be constructed from puff pastry sheets. Ask your family and friends to help you stuff the cornucopia with sweets.
- Ten Songs To Bake To (And Also Shake To!)
- The best songs to bake to! Melt your stress and tension away with these ten fun songs that you can shake and bake to!
- Ten Songs To Cook To
- The best songs to cook to! Liven up your kitchen with these great songs about food and cooking!
- Vintage Cookbooks: Start Your Own Collection Today
- Love to cook? Collecting vintage cookbooks might be the hobby for you! Starting your own collection is easy.
- Old-Fashioned Refreshing Drinks
- These old-fashioned refreshing drinks are easy to prepare and will liven up any party you throw!
- Visiting Iconic Restaurants In Atlantic City
- Discover iconic restaurants in Atlantic City and learn about their best old-fashioned dishes.